Lotus is a type of aquatic plant that has an upright stem. The plant grows in lakes, ponds, or rivers. Lotus can grow up to 8 feet high and 4 feet across. It has beautiful white and yellow flowers that blossom in the late spring and early summer months.
Lotus plants can be planted in water gardens, which are garden beds that are partially or immersed in water. While most gardens contain all types of plants, a water garden tends to feature only aquatic plants. The soil used in container gardening is composed of the same components as regular potting soil but with added nutrients to help your plant thrive.
Lotus plants are easy to grow. The following article will tell you how to grow lotus in a garden.
How To Grow Lotus In Garden?
Prepare the Water Garden Location:
Before you plant your lotus plants, ensure that the area where they will be grown is ready. For instance, check for weeds and clear them out. To prevent weed growth, you can use a covering material like mulch or pebbles on top of the soil.
Clean the garden bed thoroughly before adding the new plants. This will help you eliminate pests and diseases. Aside from prepping the soil, check if there are any large rocks or concrete in the area where your plants will be planted. These materials can damage your lotus’ roots because they grow deep into the water garden bed.
Prepare Your Lotus:
Place your lotus plants in a bucket of water for at least one week before planting them into the garden bed. This will allow your plant to get used to growing in water conditions. After one week, take your lotus out of the bucket and let it drain thoroughly.
Planting the Lotus:
Planting lotus is not difficult. To plant, dig a hole about two to three times the size of your lotus’ roots. You can use a trowel or even just your hands if you do not have one handy. The main thing is that the hole has enough room for the root system to grow properly.
The next step involves placing your lotus into the hole. This should be done with the crown of your plant, which is where it starts to grow out of the stem. Make sure that the crown is just above the surface of the soil or water in your garden bed. You can add some compost around this part before you cover it up again.
Do not pack down the soil when you are putting your lotus plant in the ground. This can cause it to rot and die.
You will need to water your lotus every day until it gets established, but after that, you can cut back on the watering. Lotus plants are very hardy, and they only require one or two inches of water per week during their growing season. During the winter months, you need to leave the soil dry.
Lotus plants only grow in full sunlight, so ensure that your garden bed has at least six hours of daylight each day. If needed, move your lotus plant to get more sunlight exposure.
Add fertilizer when planting your lotus. Mix one-half cup of compost and a small amount of fertilizer to each plant. Spread this mixture over the soil as you prepare your garden bed for planting by digging it up. The compost will help with drainage, and the fertilizer will enrich the soil for healthy growth.
One way to ensure that your lotus plants get enough sunlight is to put a floating device in your garden bed. This will ensure that the lotus plant receives the light it requires every day.
It can take three years for a lotus plant to mature and start flowering. You need to decrease how much you water your plants during the winter months not to die or get damaged by freezing temperatures.
- Lotus plants are water garden plants that thrive in wet soil or bog conditions.
- They require full sunlight, or you can provide them with a floating device if they need light but do not have access to it.
- You should fertilize your lotus once per month during the summer months and just every six weeks during the winter.
- Never disturb your lotus by digging them up. This will damage their roots and result in the death of your plant.
- Make sure that you remove any dead or brown leaves from your lotus, as this can cause a bad odor to emit from the blooms on your plant. If you do not want these leaves touching the water, cut them off before they do and discard them.
To keep your lotus blooming, you need to ensure that the water does not get stagnant. Add some water circulation, such as a fountain or cooler pump, into your pond if this happens.
Grow Your Own Lotus:
If you have a pond or a pail, growing lotus is easy. You can even grow it indoors in water in your sink if you do not have access to a garden. Simply follow these simple five steps, and you will see how quickly your lotus can begin to bloom:
- Fill your pail with good-quality soil and add some fertilizer to it. This will help the roots grow properly. Let this sit for one week.
- Fill your bucket with water after one week and wait another seven days before planting your lotus into the soil/water mixture using the crown of your plant.
- Put your lotus in the sunniest spot you have.
- Water your lotus every day for one month, then cut back to once or twice a week depending on how much it rains.
- Fertilize your lotus every two months with compound fertilizer. This will keep them healthy and keep them producing lots of blooms.
Lotus plants can be grown in a pond or a garden bed. They require full sunlight and plenty of fertilizer to produce blooms. If your lotus plant does not get enough light, add a floating device to the water to help it thrive. Never dig up your lotus when they are transplanted into your garden bed, as this can hurt your plant’s roots and result in the death of your lotus. We hope our article about how to grow lotus in the garden – helpful tips will help you grow the lotus in your garden.